The ICOMOS International Wood Committee (IIWC) is one of the specialized scientific committees of ICOMOS (International Council on Monuments and Sites). IIWC was established in 1975.
The role and goals of ICOMOS’s International Scientific Committees are described in the Eger-Xi’an Principles, adopted at the ICOMOS 15th General Assembly in 2005.
“The International [Scientific] Committees (ISCs) are the vehicles through which ICOMOS brings together, develops and serves its worldwide membership according to fields of specialized interest. ICOMOS expects the ISCs to be at the heart of scientific inquiry and exchange in their domains and to share knowledge among them to foster a multi-disciplinary approach to heritage protection and management, in fulfillment of the goals of ICOMOS as stated in Article 5.b. of its statutes: “Gather, study and disseminate information concerning principles, techniques and policies” related to heritage protection.”
A Managing Group, consisting of five to seven members, has the responsibility to realize the approved plan of activity. The Managing Group is elected by the IIWC members during the ICOMOS General Assembly which is held every three years.
The objective of IIWC is to promote international cooperation in the field of preservation of wood in buildings and structures and to advise on the development of ICOMOS programmes in this field.
IIWC shall accomplish its objective by providing a forum for the interchange of experience, ideas, knowledge, and the results of research between administrators, architects, engineers, historians, legislators, and other professionals.
Further, IIWC aims to coordinate existing studies, to promote further studies, to extend technical cooperation, and to establish links with specialized institutions or industrial organizations in appropriate fields. The activities of IIWC include the organization of meetings, the preparation of publications, and the gathering and dissemination of information.
A series of international symposia have been organized since 1977; the latest Wroclaw, Poland (2009, in cooperation with ISCARSAH, the International Scientific Committee on the Analysis and Restoration of Structures of Architectural Heritage), Guadalajara, Mexico (2012), Himeji, Japan (2013), and Falun, Sweden (2016).
- 1st Symposium of the IIWC
- 2nd Symposium of the IIWC
- 3rd Symposium of the IIWC
- 4th Symposium of the IIWC - Ottawa, Canada, 1982
- 5th Symposium of the IIWC - Bergen, Norway, Juin 1983
- 6th Symposium of the IIWC
- 7th Symposium of the IIWC
- 8th Symposium of the IIWC - Nepal 1992
- 9th Symposium of the IIWC - Himeji, Japan - 12 March 1994
- 10th Symposium of the IIWC
- 11th Symposium of the IIWC
- 12th Symposium of the IIWC - Hue, Vietnam - April 2000
- 13th Symposium of the IIWC - Kenozero National Park, Russia - September 2002
- 14th Symposium of the IIWC - Patzquaro Michoacan, Mexico - 10/14 November 2003
- 17th Symposium of the IIWC - Krakow and Wroclaw, Poland - 1/5 December 2009
- 18th Symposium of the IIWC - Guadalajara, Mexico- 14/17 November 2012
- 19th Symposium of the IIWC - Himeji, Japan- 17/20 September 2013
- International Conference on the Seismic Performance of Traditional Buildings, Istanbul, Turkey - 16/18 November 2000
Revision of Principles approvedThe revision of the 1999 "Principles for the preservation of Historic Timber Structures" was presented to the Advisory Committee...Read more SHATIS' 17. Istanbul, TurkeyThe 4th International Conference on Structural Health Assessment of Timber Structures 20th to 22nd September 2017, Istanbul, Turkey. Yildiz Technical University. Submission of Abstracts due December 9, 2016. Read more CIPA OTTAWA 2017The 26th International Symposium on “Digital Workflows for Heritage Conservation” will be held in Ottawa, Canada next year, from August 28th to Sept 1st. cipaottawa.org Image: Dimitri B. Flickr 19th Triennial General Assembly. Delhi, IndiaIn 2017, the 19th Triennial General Assembly and annual Advisory Committee will take place from 11 - 15 December 2017... Read more In 2017, the 19th Triennial General Assembly and annual Advisory Committee will take place from 11 - 15 December 2017 in Delhi on the invitation of ICOMOS India.On this occasion an International Scientific Symposium on the issue of "Heritage & Democracy" (working title) will take place.More information will be posted in due course. 20th Symposium. Falun, SwedenWith your participation and the enthusiastic and hard working volunteers in Sweden, the symposium was a great success!!! Read more